Monday, February 1, 2016

The Lightless Labyrinth - Excerpt 6



VI


"And what is your name, lad?" said Sir Garath. "You are young to be amongst such company."

Jonn shifted uneasily in his chair, almost wishing that he had not drawn the knight's attention.  "I am Jonn Greywood," he said.

"And what reasons have you for wanting to join this expedition?"

Jonn stood from his chair.  He was suddenly tense, awash with nerves and a tightness in his chest.  He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and spoke.

 "I seek my father. Alive or dead."

The knight’s eyebrows raised slightly. "You must be Jaim Greywood’s boy.  He was a good man."

"You knew my father?" said Jonn, the words tumbling out before he could stop them.

"Aye, we fought together a time or two.  He was valourous, and handy with a blade.  I mourned along with many others on the day he disappeared in the Labyrinth.  Did he teach you to fight?"

Jonn’s hand strayed to the sword at his belt. "Yes.  I also served in the Tyrest infantry for the last two years, fighting in the north."

"The infantry?" said Sir Garath, puzzled.  "Aren't you of noble birth?"

Across the table, the red-bearded barbarian laughed heartily. "Never mind that!  If that lad fought in Skartas, then mayhap we crossed blades a time or two," he said with a wicked grin.

"I wouldn’t know," Jonn said uncertainly.

"Enough of that," said Sir Garath. "Pardon my bluntness, but I would ask why you seek your father.  He is almost certainly dead, and I doubt there is anything for you to find.  I would not see you throw your life away on a fool's errand."

Jonn closed his eyes again, and in his mind flashed a fleeting image of his mother, gaunt and silent in her chair, staring with dead eyes through the drawing-room window.  With a grimace he banished the image almost as soon as it appeared.

"I know the chances are slim," he said.  "But I will try anyway.  I could not let my father's body rot in that pit without trying to bring him out.  And if, by some miracle, he lives?  I will take that chance, even if I die in the attempt.  I owe my mother that much.  Take me, and I will fight for you as best I am able.  Leave me behind, and I will follow you into the depths regardless."

"Well said," said the knight.  "Jonn Greywood, I would be glad to have you accompany me into the Labyrinth."

Jonn eased himself back into his chair, his whole body shaking.  The tightness in his chest loosened, and his nerves ebbed away, to be replaced by an iron resolve.  It was done.  His path was set.  He was going into the Lightless Labyrinth.

No comments:

Post a Comment