Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Lightless Labyrinth - Excerpt 10



X


The archer looked up from intense scrutiny of his knife and fixed Myrio with a fervent gaze.  Jonn felt his skin prickle uncomfortably, and he shifted in his chair.

"It will be an honour to do battle at thy side," said the archer.

Myrio did not even look at him as she spoke.  "You would do well to watch this one, Sir Garath.  He is a member of the Stygian Brotherhood."

"I’ve not heard of it," said the knight with a frown.

"Few have," said Myrio. "Even in Haruna they are little known, and it is there that they most often ply their trade."

"Murder," said Beren, with a knowing smile.

Myrio looked at the priest, an eyebrow raised.  "You know much, old man.  Yes, they are assassins, in service to the Demon-God Goth-Haqqra, and whatever other vile notions drive them. I would not take this man into the Labyrinth if I were you."

Jonn watched the archer out of the corner of his eye while the others spoke.  The archer paid them little heed.  He simply returned to studying his knife, testing the edge with his thumb and glancing occasionally Myrio’s direction.  Jonn knew nothing of the Stygian Brotherhood, and had never been to Haruna.  He only knew that the quiet archer, with his burning gaze and twitchy mannerisms, made him feel on edge.

"I will judge that for myself," said Sir Garath. "What do you have to say, archer?"

The archer started when he was addressed, and fixed the knight with an intense, unblinking stare.

"Of course I am a killer," he said. "What other sort of man wouldst thou need in the Hellwarren?"

"And the Stygian Brotherhood?" said the knight.

"I am of their number," said the archer. "But like our priest here, I am here of mine own accord."

Myrio shook her head. "No. The Stygian Brothers do nothing without word from their masters. If he is here, there is some vile purpose to it."

"There is purpose indeed," said the archer. "But the purpose is my own, and I can swear that it will not conflict with thine.  Order me, and I will obey.  Tell me what to kill, and it will die."

"I see," said the knight, stroking his chin.  "Tell me Myrio, how skilled would this man be?"

Myrio eyes the archer sidelong with open disgust.  "At killing?  Almost as effective as myself, though I would say less artful about it."

Sir Garath nodded. "I have no love for murderers, and less for pagan demon-worshippers. However, I have even less love for priests, and I have already admitted one of those to our number.  Welcome...?"

"Saskar," said the archer.

"Welcome, Saskar. Do not make me regret my decision."

The archer nodded, and the ghost of a smile came to his face.  It never reached his eyes. Jonn shuddered again as he regarded that hot, fervent gaze, and that was when it struck him: the whole time they had been talking, archer had not blinked even once.

No comments:

Post a Comment