Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Happiness Dilemma

I haven't been able to rekindle my writing streak over the last week.  To be honest, I haven't done much of anything besides spending time with my wife and son, and going to work.  What I've also been doing is thinking, and one of the conclusion I've come to is that I would probably be happier if I didn't want to be a writer.

Life would be a lot easier.  I could devote more time to my family.  I would probably be satisfied with where I am in my job.  I'd be able to get a good night's sleep for once.  Most of all, I wouldn't have that constant voice nagging me at the back of my skull.  You could be writing now, instead of wasting your time.  You could be doing something productive.  Why aren't you?  Why are you wasting time working/sleeping/gaming/eating/etc.?

There are two solutions, of course.  The first is to abandon writing and just try to relax and enjoy life.  It's tempting, but impossible.  I have to be working on something, and I don't want my obituary to just say "Well, he sure did read a lot of comics."  It's a condition that I have to live with, even though at times I wish that I didn't.

The second solution is to write more, which sounds simple.  The trick is squeezing it into the cracks of my life.  I get up, I go to work, I come home, I spend time with my family, and by the time I can write it's close to midnight and I'm operating on about four hours of sleep from the night before.  Mental exhaustion and the act of creation don't mix well for me.

So that's where I am right now.  No doubt I'll try to struggle through another week, squeezing out as many words as I can in the wee hours of the morning.  Perhaps I'll do better, perhaps worse.  Perhaps I need to stop obsessing over word-count, and just be glad that I'm making some progress.

OTHER TIME-WASTING ACTIVITIES

What I've Been Reading
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

What I've Been Watching
Game of Thrones season 4
Resurrection season 1

What I've Been Playing
The Game of Dungeons (aka dnd)

No comments:

Post a Comment