Monday, February 9, 2015

Goals for 2015

Last year I made a list of goals that was, dare I say it, a little ambitious.  I was fresh off of self-publishing my first novel, full if vim and vigour and ready to take on everything life could throw at me.  Unfortunately, the one thing I wasn't ready to take on was myself, and my own tendencies toward laziness and defeatism.  As you can see, I didn't to so hot.

So this year I'm setting my sights a bit lower.  Basically, I just want to finish up all of the things I'm already working on.  Which means I get to make a list!  I do love a good list.

Goal 1: Finish The Lightless Labyrinth:  I'm already a good two-thirds of the way through the first draft, so I have a much more realistic shot at this than I did in 2014.  At the very least I'll be able to get the first draft done; whether I can publish it or not depends on how much rewriting I need to do.  So far it's turning out to be much tighter than Jack Manley was at a similar stage.

Goal 2: Get Ug and the Giant's Backyard republished: I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this before on the blog, but I had a children's picture book published through a small press.  (Okay, so it was a small press run through the school I attended, for which I was part of the editorial staff.  Nepotism is a hell of a thing.)  I did the writing and the illustrations, and I have all of the rights, so there's no reason I shouldn't get it back out there.  The main stumbling block is that I want it to be in colour this time around, which is a lot of extra work.

Goal 3: Maintain a regular blogging schedule:  I have a load of blogs on a variety of subjects: writing, computer games, gamebooks, Dungeons & Dragons, Marvel comics...  Anyone who has followed my blogging career will know that I am, at best, an erratic poster.  This year I'd like to keep up the pace a little better, and post to each of my blogs once a week.

So that's it.  Three goals, none of which are out of the realm of possibility (though that blogging one may be stretching things a bit).  Join me in 2016, when I once again recount my failures.

WHAT MY OTHER BLOGS SAID:
Marvel Year By Year: The Beginning - The introductory post of a new blogging project about the Marvel Universe.  It doesn't reveal what the blog's about just yet, but it does detail my first brush with Marvel.  I'm really looking forward to continuing with this one.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual part 51 - In this blog I'm reading through every D&D product in chronological order, and attempting to craft a cohesive game world using everything I find therein.  It's an exercise in folly, basically, but D&D nerds may enjoy it.

OTHER TIME-WASTING ACTIVITIES:

What I'm Watching
Resurrection season 2

What I'm Reading
Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Daredevil by Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin

What I'm Playing
Orthanc on a PLATO emulator
Crossy Road on my phone
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii

No comments:

Post a Comment