Friday, February 13, 2015

All The Things I Did: 13th February 2015

Here it is, for the third week running: everything I read, watched, played and listened to in the last week ranked from worst to best.  And here's a warning in advance: there are spoilers for The Walking Dead's latest episode.

The Wheel of Time: Winter Dragon TV Pilot:  Okay.  This may take some explaining.

The Wheel of Time is a series of fantasy novels/paving slabs by Robert Jordan.  It's immensely popular, and in the wake of Game of Thrones there has apparently been some interest from TV and movie studios.  Unfortunately, many years ago Jordan sold the licensing rights to a company called Red Eagle, which has done nothing but cock things up ever since.  The rights were set to return to Jordan's estate on February 11th, but lo and behold, look what showed up at 1.30 am on the FXX channel, right in the middle of the infomercials: a completely unheralded TV pilot.  In other words, a hastily slapped together bit of telly made so that Red Eagle can retain the rights to the series.

This show has to be seen to be believed.  It's one of the worst things I've seen in years, and I watch wrestling.  Billy Zane is in this, playing one of the major villains of the series.  Billy freaking Zane!  It's a delight watching him attempt to deliver dialogue about "the nine Rods of Dominion" and the "One Power", all while smiling affably.  Here's a link: http://io9.com/watch-that-weird-wheel-of-time-tv-show-pilot-here-1685036791.  Check it out, Wheel of Time fans, and see just how bad an adaptation can be.  This may be the worst thing on my list, but to be honest it's one of the things I enjoyed the most.

A Beard of Stars by Tyrannosaurus Rex: Okay, so bear with me: I'm going to write about some music here.  This is not something I know how to do, so forgive me if I make even less sense than usual.  I'm in uncharted waters.

With that out of the way, can we all agree that A Beard of Stars is an amazing, incredible album name?  Okay?  Good, because understanding how radical that name is will help you to know how let down I felt by this album.  A few years ago I went through David Bowie's entire catalogue, and that was a positive life decision.  T Rex is a band that often gets mentioned in the same breath as Bowie, so long as we're talking about his glam albums, so I thought I'd check them out.  I went with A Beard of Stars because it had the best title (it was a toss-up between that and Futuristic Dragon), and I think I may have gone a little too early in their chronology.  Instead of glam I got psychedelic folk rock, which is a genre I have an affinity for, but I didn't exactly warm to this album.  Most of the melodies felt awkward, and I found Bolan's voice grating.  Don't hate me, Bolan fans, I'll probably give one of their later albums a spin at some point.

Resurrection season 2, episodes 2 to 6:  I'm still not loving this show, but I am getting a little more invested in it.  Some of this is the growing focus on the conspiracy angle, which is more interesting than how such-and-such or so-and-so is feeling about their emotions this week, but mostly it comes down to Michelle Fairley, and her portrayal of the newly revived family grandmother.  She's the most heinous character I've seen on TV in a while (and yes, I do watch Game of Thrones).  Basically, I'm sticking with this to see her get set on fire or something.

The Walking Dead season 5, episode 9:  The Walking Dead is back from its mid-season break, and it's also back to its old trick of killing off all the black men.  Seriously, it's absurd how many have pegged it at this point.  Have the creators not noticed, or are they taking the piss?  There are still two left in the cast, but one has a gammy leg and the other is a nervous priest.  The odds don't look good for either of them.

As for the episode itself, it was decent enough, but it still feels like the show is treading water, and has been since half-way through season 4.  Rick and co. have decided to go to Washington, and see what's there, which I guess is a direction, but it's not really a compelling one.  I think I know what's in Washington, anyway.  I'll give you a hint: more zombies.

All-New X-Men #18-21 by Brian Michael Bendis and various artists: In the aftermath of Battle of the Atom (which I reviewed last week) the original X-Men have defected, and are now living with Cyclops and his team of revolutionaries.  It's a move that makes sense, as it gives the core cast a whole new set of characters to interact with, and that's what Bendis does well.  That's not the focus here, though.  Instead we have the introduction of X-23 to the team (she's a female clone of Wolverine.  Don't ask.), and a battle with the Purifiers, a group of militant religious mutant-haters.  Bendis gets good material out of X-23, and particularly her rapport with the young Scott Summers.  Not so much the religious fanatics, but those stories tend to be pretty one-note anyway.  The series is holding up quite well so far.  (I hate the new costumes, though.  So much uglier than the 1960s designs.)

Morning Phase by Beck: Like everyone I saw Kanye making a knob of himself at the Grammys, but it did have the positive effect of reminding me that Beck is a thing that exists.  His latest album is a mellow acoustic affair, with a lot of heartfelt, slightly melancholy tracks.  I can see why Kanye dissed it: it's an album for introspective middle-aged white people.  I liked it a lot.

Daredevil (2011 series) #1-21 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee: I'm revisiting this run of comics before I read Waid's final issues, and I feel pretty safe in saying that this is the best super-hero comic of the last five years.  Waid took the character back to his swashbuckling roots after a decade of unrelenting noirish misery, while never ignoring the many terrible traumas that exist in Matt Murdock's backstory.  The action is sharp and inventive, the emotional beats hit hard, and the art is crisp and sublime.  If you want to read some Daredevil before the TV series begins, this is the one.  (Oh, okay, there's also the Frank Miller runs.  And the Bendis run.  And Brubaker.  But I like this one the best.  It has Stilt-Man.)

No comments:

Post a Comment