Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Lightless Labyrinth - Excerpt 4

IV


Sir Garath opened his mouth to question the next of his petitioners, but he was silenced by the sound of an empty tankard being slammed on the table. Jonn turned his head, and saw a burly figure in mail wiping his ale-soaked hand across his mouth. His face was marked by two livid purple scars that met in an X on his chin.

"What about you? Andarrion, ain't it?" he said in a thick Sturnish accent. "You're quick to ask about us, but I don't hear you saying much. I'd like to know if I'm wastin' me time."

"Sir Andarrion," said the knight, "or Sir Garath, if you must. And my quest is a simple one. I seek the king."

"After five years in the Labyrinth?" the mercenary scoffed. "The king's dead. But if your gold's real it's a good enough reason for me."

"It's real enough," said Garath. "And I seek the king, alive or dead. One way or another, I would know the truth behind his betrayal."  He looked pointedly at the priest.

"Betrayal is a strong term," said Father Beren.

"One I stand by."

The two stood facing each other, with eyes locked. Though the priest seemed no more perturbed than usual, Jonn could see that Sir Garath was almost shaking. He appreciated the knight's anger, and shared it. Five years ago, the king had entered the Lightless Labyrinth. Five years ago, the church had sealed the Labyrinth with prayers and wards, and seized the throne. The king was not the only one sealed in the Labyrinth that day. I will have my answers, priest. 

"Do you really think the king may live?" said Jonn.

Sir Garath straightened, almost as though he had forgotten that others shared the room besides himself and Father Beren.

"I know not, lad. He was just a boy when he led that expedition into the Labyrinth. But, be he alive or dead, I believe that the truth of his fate will put this kingdom to rights."

No comments:

Post a Comment