Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Look Back On My Unrealistic Goals for 2014

I had some new content on Friday, but now it's back to the same-old same-old: ruminating on my failures.  I set some goals for last year, and now that I'm ramping up for 2015 it's time to look back and see how poorly I did.

Goal 1: Get Jack Manley and the Warlord Infinity onto Smashwords, and promote the thing.

I'm calling this half a success.  Jack Manley is on Smashwords - go and look! - but I didn't do any promotional work.  I have neither the time, the money nor the inclination.

Goal 2: Finish The Lightless Labyrinth.

Is this where I'm supposed to burst out laughing at myself?  No, I didn't finish the book, and I knew it was an unrealistic goal when I set it.  I got about two-thirds of the way through the first draft, though, so at least I made some progress.

Goal 3: Start Jack Manley and the Interchronal Deathmatch Tournament.

Once upon a time I had the grand idea to write a serialised Jack Manley novel, which would be released a chapter at a time for free, then collected later for cash money.  I've scrapped that idea, I think.  I'll still be writing the book, because I really like what I've got outlined, but I will probably release it all in one hit.

Goal 4: Release Volume 1 of a Marvel Comics Guidebook.

Aaaaaand NOPE.   Not even close.  I'm in the process of getting this up and running as a blogging project, though, so we'll see what happens.

Goal 5: Write every day.

I probably managed to write every third day or so, which is a marked improvement on my life to date.

Goal 6: Stop writing about being a lazy writer.

See the rest of this post.  How do you think I did?

So that's my last year as a writer summed up, I think.  Make no mistake, though, 2014 was probably the most productive year I've ever had.  It was only a failure by the standards I set for myself, and the standards of actual dedicated people.  I have the feeling I'll do even better in 2015; I'm nearing forty, and I'd like to become at least a mild success before I have to call myself middle-aged.

WHAT MY OTHER BLOGS SAID:
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual, part 50

OTHER TIME-WASTING ACTIVITIES:

What I'm Reading:
Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs
All-New X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen

What I'm Watching:
Guardians of the Galaxy

What I'm Playing:
WWE Supercard on my phone
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii
Orthanc on a PLATO emulator

No comments:

Post a Comment