Monday, June 9, 2014

Word Count for 2014

I thought it would be interesting to look back on my writing progress for the year and see how I've been doing.  Below are the totals that I've reported on this blog since January 2014.  I've probably done more than this, as I go through patches where I can't be bothered blogging, but for the most part it's a good indicator of my progress:

Feb 7 - 1,948
Feb 24 - 871
Mar 19 - 1,794
Mar 24 - 2,794
Mar 31 - 2,514
Apr 6 - 2,080
Apr 22 - 1,521
May 7 - 2,144
May 19 - 1,080
May 26 - 1,200
Jun 1 - 1,993
Jun 9 - 2,349

Total - 22,288 (This is a bare minimum; I've probably done a good 10,000 to 15,000 that i haven't recorded on the blog.)

That's quite a way off where I had wanted to be by mid-year.  My best patch was from mid-May to early April, where I had a 14-day consecutive writing run.  As much as I'd like to keep that up, writing every day isn't something I feel I can sustain.  Currently I'm probably doing 4-5 days a week, but I'm trying to get my writing in earlier.  I'm finding that if I start writing after midnight I genuinely can't be bothered, and I'm lucky to eke out 500 words in an hour.  When I start earlier my total comes out closer to 700, which I'm happier with.  It's not a lot, but I find it difficult to wrote for sustained periods, unless I'm doing action scenes.  I'd like to think I'd get more of my novel done if I just stopped blogging, or writing about comics, or watching wrestling, but I enjoy those things.  The important thing is that I am progressing.  It could be quicker, but I'm getting there.

WEEKLY PROGRESS:

The Lightless Labyrinth: 2,349 words (37,998 total)

OTHER TIME-WASTING ACTIVITIES:

What I'm Reading:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Marvel Timeline Project Part 1 by Jeff Deischen and Murray Ward
Marvel Comics from 1965

What I'm Watching:
Turbo
Game of Thrones season 4


What I'm Playing:
 The Game of Dungeons (aka dnd)

No comments:

Post a Comment