Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Countdown to Paperback

I don't have a great deal to report this week, except to say that I have completed reviewing the proof copy of Jack Manley and approved it to go up on Amazon.  Now I'm just waiting for Amazon to set everything up, which could take anywhere from another three to five days to complete.  I had thought that it would be available by now, but I suppose that the wheels of commerce can turn only so fast.  I'll have all of the details next week, I'm sure.

(Addendum: No, it's up already!  Expect a social media blitz tomorrow!)

WHAT ELSE I'M WORKING ON

I have been deeply immersed in About Time Vol. 2 (by Lawrence Miles and Tat Wood), a deeply exhaustive guide to Doctor Who during the late 1960s.  The About Time series spans seven volumes so far, and is a brilliant mix of insightful critiques, cultural touchstones and hardcore nerd-facts.  It's an amazing piece of work, and should be the first stop for any serious Doctor Who fan looking for a guidebook to the series.  (The second stop should be Philip Sandifer's brilliant Tardis Eruditorum blog and book series.  It's just as good as About Time, but utterly different in all the right ways.)

Every time I read this book it makes me desperately want to do the same thing for the Marvel Universe.  The universe portrayed in Marvel Comics is a wonderful, fascinating thing, and easily my favourite work of fiction.  I would really love to write a series of guidebooks that covers the breadth and scope of the Marvel Universe in detail, but the prospect of doing so seems impossible.

The first reason for this is a function of my own skills as a writer and an analyst: I'm not particularly good at picking stories apart and examining their themes.  On top of that I have little experience with the cultural context that the early Marvel Comics were created in.  I'm not American, and I certainly wasn't alive during the 1960s.  I really wouldn't feel comfortable making authoritative statements about these kinds of things, so if I do pursue this project I won't be providing the level of insight given by Miles and Wood.

The second reason that a series of Marvel Guidebooks would be nigh-impossible to create is the sheer weight of the Marvel Universe.  We're talking thousands of comics spanning from 1939 to the present day.  To do the project in the style of About Time, I would have to read them all before I begin writing.  It's just about possible that I could read the entire Marvel Universe before I die, but that would still leave a very narrow window for me to write the damn things.  And there are more comics coming out every week, mounting and mounting up.  It never ends!

The only way I can see to do this is to tackle it in a piecemeal fashion.  The first book, for instance, might cover the first two years of the Marvel Universe proper (1961 and 1962), taking into account only the information contained in those comics.  The next book would incorporate the comics from 1963, the next the comics of 1964, and so on.  Each volume would be a snapshot of the Marvel Universe at a certain point in time, and taken together they would chronicle the development and expansion of that universe both internally and externally.  It sounds like something I would have a blast writing, but it also sounds like a life's work.  I'm going to tinker around with it for a while, and see how it comes out.

OTHER TIME-WASTING ACTIVITIES

What I've Been Reading
The Son of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs
About Time Vol. 2 by Tat Wood and Lawrence Miles

What I've Been Watching
Speed Racer

What I've Been Playing
Need for Speed: The Run on the Nintendo Wii

No comments:

Post a Comment